Let’s face it. Not all shows are created equal – and they aren’t supposed to be! Comedy. Mystery. Sports. Talk. Sci-Fi. Musical. Romantic. There’s many genres to choose from that don’t always suit both genders. While there have been a few arguments and fist fights over the remote in our household (Nick usually for football or UFC and me anything on Food Network and HGTV), we’ve found a way to compromise and keep the peace in our family room.
Ever since we started dating, Nick and I always tried to find one show that we both wanted to watch. When we lived separately, we always found time during the week or weekend to have a tv show date night where we binge watched a few episode. The only rule was we have to watch the show together. No skipping ahead allowed and no looking up spoilers. As time has passed, we’ve come to learn what we like, don’t like, and how to find that perfect balance between masculine and feminine.
Here are our favorite couples TV shows to binge watch, four of which are available on Amazon Prime and Netflix. Don’t worry, there’s no spoilers!
- Ozark – Netflix – Jason Bateman portrays Marty Byrde, a financial planner who needs to relocate his family from Chicago to a summer resort community in Missouri after a money laundering scheme with the Mexican cartel goes wrong. While the Byrdes’ fate is controlled by local criminals and the cartel, the life threatening circumstances force the family to reconnect.
- Man in the High Castle – Amazon Prime – Imagine what the world would look like had Nazi Germany and Japan won WWII. This Amazon Prime series features the Axis powers as the winners of the war, dividing the United States into three parts – an area controlled by the Japanese, a Nazi-controlled section, and a buffer zone between the two. A series of propaganda films connects the characters as friends, family and lovers, and brings a sense of hope in a time of uncertainty and war shed.
- Peaky Blinders – Netflix – Set in the 1920s, follow the Shelby crime family as they run the streets of England after the Great War, protecting as well as terrorizing locals with their caps with razor blades sewn into the brim (Peaky Blinders – get it?!) Thomas Shelby, the gang’s leader, is set on making a name and moving up in this world, at any cost. Follow along as the crime drama series follows some of the most notorious known mobs and criminals in this nation’s history.
- Stranger Things – Netflix – If you haven’t heard of Stranger Things by now, you must be living under a rock (and I consider myself to live under a rock most of the time!) As a group of friends search for their missing 12-year-old friend, Will, they uncover a series of extraordinary mysteries involving top secret government experiments, supernatural forces, and an out-of-this-world girl named Eleven. Warning: This show may have you craving Eggos.
- Game of Thrones – HBO – WINTER IS COMING. For those who haven’t started GOT or have some catching up to do, now is the perfect time to binge watch all seven seasons before the eighth season airs this summer. Set in mythical continents, nine noble families fight for control over the capital, Westeros, while a once dormant enemy terrorizes, captures and destroys civilization one town at a time.