It’s the day before Thanksgiving and you were just asked to bring a side dish to tomorrow night’s dinner! What are other people making? What will everyone like? Before you panic, grab your favorite corn bread mix and make these sweet and unique Caramel Corn Muffins!
Yes, you heard me right. Grab your favorite corn bread mix. While some things I think are easier and better to make from scratch, corn bread comes best out of a box or bag (in my opinion!) Plus, if you’re in a rush, why spend time perfecting a recipe when commercial brands have already done that for us! The secret homemade touch to these corn muffins is a drizzle of caramel on top. A little bit of sweet, a little bit of buttery and a whole lot of yum! Even though they are sweet with the touch of caramel, I still categorize these muffins are a side dish and appetizer right next to the traditional dinner rolls. I promise these miniature muffins will be a hit this holiday season!
Ingredients: 1 box Krusteaz Corn Bread Mix For Homemade Caramel: 1 cup granulated sugar Muffin Directions: Caramel Directions:
Caramel Corn Muffins
2/3 cup milk
1/3 cup vegetable oil
⅓ cup water
¾ cup heavy cream
2 tablespoons butter
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line muffin tray with liners.
2. Mix together corn bread mix, milk, vegetable oil and egg. Spoon batter into muffin tin, filling 2/3 of the way.
3. Bake for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and let sit for 5 minutes before removing from muffin tin.
1. Pour 1 cup granulated sugar into a medium saucepan. Pour ⅓ cup water to soak sugar. Cook over medium heat and DO NOT STIR.
2. Watch as sugar turns to a clear liquid and cook until it slowly turns an amber golden color. Once it turns golden, turn off the heat and add ¾ cup heavy cream.
3. Add 2 tablespoons butter and slowly stir until caramel is smooth.
4. Let cool until room temperature before drizzling over muffins.
1 box Krusteaz Corn Bread Mix
For Homemade Caramel:
1 cup granulated sugar
Pro tip 1: Don’t cheat on the caramel and use store bought instead. Making caramel from scratch ensures the texture stays soft and gooey.
Pro tip 2: You can make mini corn bread loaves and dip the top in caramel instead of corn muffins. Tastes the same, just a different presentation!
From my family (and kitchen) to yours, Happy Thanksgiving!